Tuesday, November 09, 2004

 

Seizing a Stable Majority (washingtonpost.com)

Seizing a Stable Majority (washingtonpost.com): "If Republicans implement these three principles, historians will look back on 2004 as a great victory that launched a generation of center-right governance led by Republicans. But this will be a high-water mark if Republicans allow it to be. "

Newt's three keys to keeping Republicans in office generally consist of working for all groups, both the right and the left constituencies. He suggests doing what was promised in the campaign. This will be done, but CB does not believe that Republicans will or can go on an FDR-like reign. Maybe we shouldn't even want one. I certainly lean that way, but then I wonder where the great scandals like Lewinsky will come from. Okay, okay, it's really that I wonder if, as a more centrist audience, I should want my more liberal social priorities promoted. It is unlikely that Bush will be championing liberal social issues, and I don't really want him to, as it would be merely political if he did. On the other hand, there are tons of people like me that want a voice when it comes to these things. The problem is that we find terrorism to be the world's biggest issue, and these other little worries just don't count. There is no one I like better to handle terror than Bush. Other things will just have to wait.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?