Wednesday, July 27, 2005

 

What an Interesting Story

Free Huda Ammash: "Free Huda Ammash"

I haven't a clue as to the validity of his plea, but the story is truly worth your time. To be the childhood neighbor of "Mrs. Germ", or whatever we call her must be the most bizarre childhood connection to history. Whether she is a danger is for those that have spoken with her and know her history more than this WaPo writer, but just that she was a relatively normal kid only to become an internationally known germ warfare expert for a dictatorial regime makes this story one that you don't easily forget.
I was blessed yesterday to read about people that I went to elementary and middle school with. I found myself in the "ugly cry" (as Oprah calls it) very quickly. I knew these people when they merely wanted sunny days to play in the woods. Now, they have found their callings and are living out their dreams, many of them. There was one little girl, Lydia, who came to my birthday parties and was in many of my classes as a little girl. I remember clearly when we studied manatees, she and I were both captivated, her a bit more. I loved the animals and their nickname, dinghy, as I remember it. I would call Lydia dinghy, and then tease her that I was just calling her a manatee. Hey, it was third grade. I read that she is now a marine biologist living in Florida. I think of her often as she was just one of those girls who was always bright, curious, and engaged in school, something I did not have nearly the patience for. I was charmed to know that she became what it was so obvious she was meant to become! Another little girl, Heather became a teacher. She was another really very smart girl. It seemed perfect given who she was as a child. Joseph, the son of the superintendent, was a quiet child who walked with a purpose, always close with his thoughts. We walked home on the same route, and he never needed chatter, just to walk and think. He is now a PhD doing his residency in psychiatry. Another perfect outcome for this boy who I knew would do great things. Randy is a mechanical engineer. His future was not as easily read as some of the others, but it tickles me to know that he is successful. Chelsea, who was in my carpool, is an interior designer. Lindsay, who attended my birthday parties and hung out with my friends, is now a lecturer in a London college. She was quiet and smart, a perfect combination for a patient English professorship. Kim works for the Department of Homeland Security in anti-nuclear terrorism. She was always bright, and while I may not have guessed that outcome, I am proud of her for this work, in particular!
Whenever you get a chance to see how people "turn out", take it. What it proved to me was that children are just young adults. Who they are and what they can become is not nearly the mystery having seen this short registry of my childhood friends. It also says that parents who recognize that their children show interest or aptitude in an area should encourage them as opposed to steering them to studies with more prestige. Some of these successful stories are proof that some of us are born to do what we do. I feel blessed to have gotten the opportunity to watch these people grow up!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?