Friday, September 08, 2006

 

He's a Smart Guy and So Are His Viewers

Matthews: Plame Story Too Complicated to Cover Now NewsBusters.org: "Last night, I went to a party held by MSNBC and National Journal celebrating a new venture the two media outlets are launching together. Quite a few NBCers were there, including Chris Matthews. I struck up a conversation with the host about the topic of Plame and why he hadn't talked about the story at all. Here's a rough transcript of our discussion which I wrote down shortly thereafter:

Q: So I've noticed you haven't done anything on the whole Valerie Plame story since the Armitage story broke. Why not invite Joe Wilson on the show to defend himself?

A: Because he'd say basically the same thing he always says. 'My wife had no involvement in getting me the mission.' He'd just repeat it over and over.

Q: Maybe, but isn't it at least worth showing your viewers that this guy has no credibility considering how much you talked about the story before? Shouldn't he be held accountable for wasting all our time? Why not invite one of his representatives or defenders on the show?

A: Well, the story's just gotten so complicated. I mean, it's just such a mess. Because what if it's true that Armitage was the source, but those other guys [presumably Rove and Scooter Libby], also were leakers, what then?

Q: Isn't that a question worth exploring on your show?

A: It could be but the problem is that Dick Cheney has so many apologists it's ridiculous. So many journalists like Bob Woodward will say or do anything just to get access to him. And then all the people in the administration too.

Q: I don't see why this is stopping you from mentioning the story at all. The viewers at least need some sort of closure don't they?

A:Hey listen I need to get out of here"
--
CB: This is wild. Matthews is smart and the viewers can understand the "complicated situation". What is "complicated" is that it makes him and others who would not shut up about it before the truth was known now look a bit dopey. At least on this one, Sheffield should be commended. I am a former fan, real fan of Matthews. I read all of his books and watched him every day, but this is indicative of why I have chosen against him for several years now.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?