Sunday, February 25, 2007

 

Two Movies that Embody THE SPEECH

The I Have a Dream Speech - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net: "Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.
We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline."

I wrote the following a couple of days ago for another forum. I thought it appropriate to share these sentiments here with the above section of MLK's Dream speech as an introduction to my movie reviews.

-I watched an insanely good movie last night. If you have OnDemand for HBO, I think, it is called "Something the Lord Made". It was a half box of tissues movie, almost literally, but I felt like a responsible American (not overstating) for watching it. I am embarassed that people I love were alive at the time of the Civil Rights Movement and were not progressive about it. Being progressive at any time on any issue is a rarity. It cannot be expected, but it scars me that times like that existed. And that does not even cover times of slavery, which was an area that I was drawn to study as a very young girl. I lived in Kentucky (Northern) and we were the gateway to the north. There was a place my family went to dinner that was an old famhouse that had a tunnel to the river underneath it. I begged the owner once as a little girl to let me go down and see it. It was gated by then, so I could only look through the gate as the tunnel was unstable. It was one of my obsessions as a kid. I just didn't get how people like me could be that way. I try, even now, as an adult to understand that when the common beliefs are as they were that most of us are victims of common beliefs. I don't expect that I would have been any different than my ancestors were. I am glad that I do not have to deal with myself ever having those thoughts or actions. It is also the blessing of generations anew with older generations leaving us to improve society. Okay, one more quarter tissue box movie to see along the same lines...Glory Road. I am a Kentucky fan, and Rupp was an amazing basketball coach. My uncle played in the pep band for UK the year the movie is set in, and my family lived in the state at that time. Again, a feeling of embarassment rolls over me, but this is a movie that reminds us what humanity is and should be. It is not just about color. We should and you all probably do broaden these sentiments. Watch and enjoy.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?