Thursday, March 01, 2007

 

"On the Record" Language and Other Political Dreams

McCain rejects CPAC invite - Nation/Politics - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper: " 'It was a classical McCain move, dissing us by going behind our backs,' said William J. Lauderback, executive vice president of the American Conservative Union."

I am amazed that any serious person speaking on behalf of a serious organization would use the word "dissing". Look, McCain has already lost my middle-of-the-road vote by saying that Roe should be overturned. I believe him to be a serious man, a hero, and a statesman, but he can't get my vote with that outlook. I think Gingrich is the same for me. I see both of them as real thinkers who really do want to effect change in a positive way. I see their motives for office as purer than most. I also believe, however, that the power of the religious right needs to be congregational and not governmental going into the next Presidential term. I think that is why we see this cross-party support for Giuliani. Yes, part of it is that we haven't forgotten who he was on that day, but part of it is that he does not seem so far one political direction or the other. Of all of the candidates so far, given what they have said so far, Giuliani strikes me as the most likely to pull a "West Wing" and invite a candidate from another party to complete his ticket. It is something the Clinton's would never do. It is something most far-right conservatives would never do, which is part of why we are so divided as a country. I know, I just suggested that a real Presidential candidate take a note from a television show. I also realize that the move was pure fiction, but I still see Rudy as the most likely to have the conviction of his abilities to make some of our wrongs right through that kind of move. Why can't our political dreams come true?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?